Started in 2008, the True Maroon™ campaign highlights a special Mississippi State tradition each year. A t-shirt and video are designed for the honored tradition and both are debuted during Super Bulldog Weekend each year. A portion of all t-shirt sales benefits North Central Mississippi United Way, and one home game for each sport is designated as a True Maroon™ game. Fans are asked to wear their True Maroon™ shirts to this game to "maroon-out" the stadium. Past traditions honored include "Hail State", Bully, and our Alma Mater: "Maroon & White."
Also part of the campaign is the True Maroon™ Senior Athlete of the Year award. This award is presented to the senior athlete who best exemplifies the qualities of being True Maroon™, and is voted on through an online poll. Past winners include Cody Freeman (Baseball) and Jarvis Varnado (Men's Basketball).
For more information, please visit www.truemaroon.msstate.edu or contact the Co-Directors of History & Traditions.
True Maroon Week
- Monday November 11th – Cowbell Exhibit, 7-9 p.m., M & S Ballroom in the Union
- Finger Food Provided
- Tuesday November 12TH – Cowbell Tales, 6 pm, Dawg House
- The author of the book Cowbell Tales will be sharing stories about the history of the cowbell, as well as anecdotes about individual people’s cowbells.
- 5 copies will be raffled off.
- Thursday November 14th – Cowbell Birthday Party, 5pm-tip off, Mize Pavilion
- Free Cupcakes to celebrate the Cowbell.
- Friday November 15th – Dawg Rally, 4:15 pm, Junction
- Scott Stricklin will speak.
- Friday November 15th- Miss MSU Pageant, 7 p.m., Lee Hall
- Saturday November 16th – Bullring Dedication Ceremony, 3:30 p.m., Plaza of the Union